The Young Authors’ Conference is a day-long adventure for young writers, grades 5 through 12. On Friday, June 17, 2016, at 7:00 pm, everyone is invited to the conference kick-off event with our 2016 Guest Authors, held at Schuler Books in Eastwood Towne Center, Lansing. The conference itself is held on Saturday, June 18, 2016, when our participants will get to spend the day in Michigan State University’s Bessey Hall, learning all about writing from professional authors and MSU instructors.
After you apply, you’ll receive detailed conference information in your participant packet. You’ll also get a personalized conference schedule when you arrive at the conference on Saturday morning. For planning purposes, here’s a general overview of the conference times and locations.
- 7:00 PM Public reading with Guest Authors at Schuler Books in Eastwood Towne Center, Lansing: This event serves as the conference kick-off. It’s an optional event, free and open to the public. We’d love for you to join us.
- 8:30 – 9:00 Check-In (Bessey Hall): Start your day by picking up your personalized conference folder and informally meeting fellow writers and conference staff. You can stop by the book vendor at this point or during breaks throughout the day.
- 9:00 – 9:30 Welcome (Bessey Hall): The conference director will greet everyone and introduce the day’s events.
- 9:30 – 12:30 Morning Sessions (Bessey Hall): All participants will workshop their stories, meet with one of our Writers-in-Residence, and attend sessions on topics like plot, revision, and publication.
- 12:30 – 1:30 Lunch (Bessey Hall)
- 1:30 – 4:00 Afternoon Sessions (Bessey Hall): All participants will workshop their stories, meet with one of our Writers-in-Residence, and attend sessions on topics like plot, revision, and publication.
- 4:00 – 4:30 Closing Remarks (Bessey Hall): We’ll end the day with a short closing ceremony.
- 4:30 – 5:00 Book Buying and Author Signings (Bessey Hall): We’ve built in extra time to get new books and have them signed by our Writers-in-Residence.
The Saturday events will all be held on Michigan State’s campus, in Bessey Hall. There’s a parking ramp right next to Bessey, with free parking on Saturdays. Click here if you need driving instructions.
There’s some road construction on campus this summer. So be sure to check for construction areas before leaving home!